Quoits, Cromlechs and Dolmen,
Neolithic tombs on Anglesey
Lecture held on December 1st 2011 at the Masonic Hall, Uppermill
The slide show and lecture was given by Peter Leeming, who had been able to take over Ken Booth’s lecture at short notice. Ken thanked Peter for other occasions when he had helped out this year. Peter first some showed slides of Anglesey's two famous bridges, Parys Mountain Copper mine, the Druids and the longest place name in Britain.
The neolithic tombs were first mentioned by John Aubrey in 1660, followed by Henry Roden and Thomas Penn. One hundred years ago a Welsh society published a paper on Neolithic sites on Anglesey. A Mr J Bains formed Anglesey's AntiquarianSociety in 1911, and carried out a survey on the cromlechs and dolmen.
The earliest tombs have been found in Ireland dating to 4500-4100 BC which contained cattle bones from France.
Dolmen and Cromlechs
Some examples given were Ty Newydd, a very good example which has had to be supported by a brick column, Bodowyr, Ty Mawr, which are aligned toward sunrise. The upper or cap stone was flat bottomed and placed on smaller stones then earthed and grassed over.
Several sites showed examples of cup markings, Benlech, Llygwy, Llan fechell Pant Ys.
Bryn Yr Bobl has an intact mount and a pathway.
Henblas Is it a Cromlech or dolmen?
Trefignath is a multi chambered tomb
Bryn A Cell Dhu is a ditched mound aligned to the sunrise on July 23
Barclodiad is a large dolmen with impressive carved artwork and has been restored partially.
Castell Bryn is a large hill fort and henge.
Peter referred to an excellent map site, COFLEIN the Welsh Archaeological Map Site for further interest.
Ken Booth thanked him for an interesting lecture from their combined slides and notes.
© Saddleworth Archaeological Trust , 2012